Tuesday, September 7, 2010

[more] thoughts on the past

I know I visit this topic far too frequently, but I absolutely love the past. It's not because I'm afraid of the future or I can't figure out the present. Both of these and neither of these are true to some extent, but neither of them has anything to do with my point. I love how the three are connected. Unlike my thought processes seem to be.

I've been thinking about the past a lot lately, and I keep coming to the conclusion that I like revisiting the "negative" memories. I keep thinking if it weren't for... or I'm glad that happened because... I know it's silly to dwell on the past, but I'm not sitting there thinking I wish I wouldn't have... or If only that didn't happen... , so I've decided it's okay and not entirely fruitless. Failed relationships, unwanted moves, even kidney stones have all been worth it. I'm grateful for the past.

One of my-not-so-favorite authors said, "...there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." I don't want my past to be a prison. I don't think of it as bad or good. It's just a map detailing the path I've taken to this exact moment. And I am very content in that.

No comments: